View Single Post
Old 07-03-2012, 05:55 AM
WMUTeach

I learned to sew from my mother who was a depression child. She would turn collars and cuffs and save buttons. I enjoyed playing with her sewing notions. She taught me to embroider when I was five soon to turn six. I made bibs for my baby brother that arrived a few months later. I sat at the sewing machine when I was a full six and used a pattern for Shirley Temple Doll Cloths by Mc Calls. I was an early reader but I had seen my mother use patterns so it was so easy. I sat on catalogs and pillows with the foot peddle on another chair so I could reach it. I was just a bit of a mite so we had to be creative. I never sewed my finger, made lots of mistakes but was never afraid of any pattern, technique or instruction. I love hand work and crochet, embroider have done nearly every needle craft known to man and still love it. It kept my children in tennis shoes and music lessons for many years because I did sewing piece work for a store. Thank for the opportunity to honor my mother's wisdom to teach me to sew.