Old 07-03-2012, 06:32 AM
FroggyinTexas

Thee and me! I love panels, which are rarely square no matter what you pay for them or the quilt shop from which you buy them. I pick a generous width for sashing, say three and half inches, sash each section of the panel and then square the block. Then I deliberately offset the sections, using what one author calls "coping strips"--and put the whole thing together like a jigsaw puzzle. It works for me and so far the quilt police have not rung my doorbell! froggyintexas

Originally Posted by QuiltingHaven View Post
Okay, take this from an "older" beginning quilter with a grain of salt but I have become very adept at fixing my "creative errors" and I think you could square them up by re-sashing them with a similar color (blue at the top and cream at the bottom) like a narrow 1 inch for one suggestion; or by putting triangles in the corners to make them a less "wonky". Make pieced sashes in rectangles or triangles of similar colors from the panel to go on and then add a single lighter or darker color for the next sash. OR tip them at an angle on the quilt highlighting with larger triangles. Now remember, I have been quilting for only 1 1/2 years and I have been creative when I find errors in fabric. Hope maybe these ideas will help. Next time (don't ask me how I know this ;-) take a square in the fabric store and make sure the panels are square or ask the company online that you are ordering them from if they are square!!!! I have learned a lot over this past year and a half. Good luck!!!!