Old 07-03-2012, 07:54 AM
miriam
Power Poster

Originally Posted by nurseknitsLaura View Post
I really need to re-post some machines on CL. The hard part is, of course, pricing. and dealing with humans who do or don't come when they say they will. I've been kind of blue lately, and it makes me much less tolerant of the perpetual "will it sew leather?" people. Like sewing leather is some type of gold standard, and not a specialty. I mean, do these people who've never sewn anything before have any idea how much a tanned hide costs? what are they planning on sewing? and what's with the " it sews 20 layers of denim" people? I've been sewing since childhood, and the only times I ever sew more that 4 layers of anything are few and far between. It's like people don't understand what the domestic sewing machine is for! Then I start worrying that these yahoos will mistreat the machine, and well, it makes thinning the herd a bit problematic. But, i have a necchi, a few whites, and a 201 that all need to go live somewhere else, so I suppose I had better stop whining. Laura
Laura, you are not alone. I've been thinking about renting out my Consew to people who want to sew leather and tarps. $25 an hour on site and if they want me to do it - maybe an additional $50. If the machine breaks $100 for repairs. HE HE HE... that one is a bomb... Of course they can always buy the stupid thing for what I have in it... yeah sure. I don't get it either. I've sewn tarps and tents and bent needle bars on industrial machines... It isn't how many layers it is how much weight you can put on the needle bar... How big a needle you can pop in a machine. I've had to explain that over and over. Do you have a business? Usually not. If they are going to have a business they need the right machine for the job. If not - pay to have it done.