View Single Post
Old 09-23-2009, 08:18 PM
Lisanne

I saw a commercial last night about some group or company that makes (not sure that's the right word)/provides American energy. Naturally, I can't remember the name of it. I'd much prefer to buy American.

Not just energy, but almost everything.

Just saw an article online that the US can't keep up with its need for bullets. The article said they're making them around the world for us... what is wrong with this picture? Why isn't the US government putting Detroit factory workers to work making the bullets? And other Americans besides Detroiters, of course.

And then there's food. My frozen broccoli and cauliflower come from Mexico. My shrimp says it's from Thailand. The labeling on the beef in the store says it comes from "Mexico, Canada or the US." You know if it were US beef they'd say so straight out, and in bigger lettering. My Dole frozen mango package says they are "manufactured" and "packed" in the USA BUT the stamp below that says "Product of Peru." A California or Jersey distributor is just that. They may be distributing a product from anywhere else in the world and usually are.

I have railed at store managers for having only Mexican grapes available when they were advertised as California grapes. Happily, there seems to be a law that they must label produce with its country of origin, so you can check.

Occasionally it's worthwhile to buy an import. Wal-mart carries scallions from Mexico in very nice bags. The scallions are large and gorgeous, and bargain priced as well. I adore oranges and will get a South African one now and then out of season. Belgian chocolates - but these aren't efforts to undercut American workers for corpoate profits.

This has been a rather disconnected rant. This is a major pet peeve of mine, that I no longer have the choice to buy American in most cases.