View Single Post
Old 07-04-2012, 12:48 PM
mcwillia

I just finished a week teaching at a 4H sponsored beginner's sewing camp- 3 hours Monday thru Friday. Ages ranged from 8 to 12. The first day we introduced the parts of the sewing machine, gave them a set of 5 papers to stitch on without thread (the last two pages were complex straight and curved lines) and had them stitch on a paper pattern with two fabrics right sides together to make a small star pillow to stuff. Then they moved on to a tote bag, 9 patch pillow, and pajama pants. Every child completed all of the basic projects. Those who quickly caught on were able to complete purses, more 9 patch pillows, a T-shirt bolero, and pillows in the shape of letters. The last day was a "fashion show" with relatives in attendance and the kids each got up to talk about their projects. There were 16 kids and 7 teachers....the younger ones really need the one-on-one instruction. I was absolutely exhausted by the end of my shift but seeing the pride as each project was completed sure brightened my day.
The intermediate sewers made 3 tiered skirts and purses to match...absolutely darling.
If you can, I suggest you make kits for the first couple of projects. Then the kids can focus on mastering the sewing machine and not have to deal with pinning, cutting and dealing with a pattern