View Single Post
Old 07-04-2012, 07:00 PM
Helen S

I recently bought a Brother 80-Stitch Limited Edition Project Runway Computerized Sewing Machine from Walmart. It was priced at $149, but I had a coupon from something else that brought it down to $109. So, if I had to say anything about the machine it would be that it's cheaply built. BUT, for the money, guess I can't complain. I bought it to use for classes, and because my Pfaff was in the shop at that time. I think I'm spoiled by my Pfaff and just had to put it back in the shop for repairs again so am using the Brother PR again. I still am not crazy about it, but it sews, and the feed dog does drop on it. At least I can keep working on my current project. The Brother is very light weight, so moves around slightly when sewing a lot. The thread spool holder can be annoying in that you have to remove the end cap before you can put the holder into the closed position if you want to put the machine in a case. The needle area could be a bit higher...it's difficult to get your fingers in there to change a needle or to grasp the thread when threading the needle. Oh, and let me not forget to mention that it comes with a little...little round "screwdriver"! It's a round disk, about the size of a silver dollar and has a small hole in the middle and one edge is slightly protruding. This is supposed to work as a screwdriver...uh...NOT! Again, the area you need to work in is very tight and the "screwdriver" is difficult to hang on to and keeps slipping out of the screw head. By the time I can get the screw loosened I'm not in a very good mood! lol The feed dog seems a bit "off"...seems to push the fabric to the side. The foot pedal doesn't always engage the machine, but when it catches the machine "takes off"!!! Anyway, I'd have to say it's a very basic bottom of the barrel machine. BUT is a backup if needed. I haven't tried FMQ with it. (haven't tried FMQ with my Pfaff, either! lol) = (