Thread: Machine Binding
View Single Post
Old 07-05-2012, 10:23 AM
Skittl1321

Hmmm... I have the picture of the backs of tons of quilt, but none show a close up of the binding.

I know two ways to bind a quilt by machine. One is to use double fold bias tape and squeeze it really close to the edge and sew front and back at the same time. I have a friend who calls this fool proof, and her binding looks perfect, and her corners have great mitres front and back. I must be bigger than a fool, as mine always looks sloppy.

The way I do it is by sewing bias tape that has been folded in half to the back of the quilt, and then pulling it around to the front. My front mitres look great, but the back doesn't always. This leaves a shadow line of stitching on the quilt usually on the outside of the binding on the back. I can keep it equidistant from the binding on 95% of the quilt, but once or twice it will either get further away, or go into the binding.

My quilts aren't for show though, and it looks great on the front. I don't enjoy hand sewing at all, so I think this is a good way to do it.

Last edited by Skittl1321; 07-05-2012 at 10:26 AM.