Old 07-05-2012, 11:35 AM
GailG

Originally Posted by mjsylvstr View Post
I have been using the Kenmore for a number of years and have never had any problems. I purchased the model #19233 about two years ago and absolutely love it.

My Mother used the White 60 plus years ago...and I have heard that the Kenmores are a spin-off..not sure about it though.
Ihave a White from the seventies. It's a workhorse and is HEAVY. Also have a "heavy duty school White machine." (?) That's how it was advertised. I LOVE it. Not too many bells and whistles,but a beautiful stitch. There are three straight stitches:short, med., and long. Also 3 zigzags, a buttonhole, and a blind hemstitch. It even sews hems on jeans well. I do most of my machine quilting on that one. My serger is also a White. Janome is made by New Home. I do have a Singer 404 and my mom's Singer 301 is still operational. (301 from the fifties. I purchased my 404 in '62.) I also have a Janome (New Home) Memory Craft 4000. It is computerized, but simpler than the newer ones. Hasn't Singer and Kenmore merged? Perhaps that's the reason you couldn't find the Kenmores. Perhaps the Singer name was more "recognized" as "quality merchandise."
Edit: Seems from further reading in this thread that some of my info is not correct about which company sold out to what company. Sorry. I really should read the WHOLE thread before commenting. I just get so excited that I want to throw in my two cents also.
As someone wisely advised: do your research carefully. Good luck.

Last edited by GailG; 07-05-2012 at 11:42 AM.