View Single Post
Old 07-05-2012, 07:10 PM
rrhaigh

I have been teaching my 11 year old GD to sew. She started with paper and following the lines and dot to dots from color books. However, I felt that made her watch the "needle" rather than where the pressure foot is. So, once she started sewing on fabric and needed to make accurate seams I taped painters tape to the machine bed and had her use that for a guide. First she made a pillow case, then a blanket just putting two rights sides together and sewing around, turning it and then top stitch around. Next she made a bag.

Her all time FAVORITE is making STUFFED ANIMALS. She uses coloring book pictures for patterns. Puts the pattern on the fabric and cuts them out and sews them. I am amazed at how accurate her seams are and her corner turning is great. Doing these stuffed animals has taught her soooo much about details. Once she has sewn them and stuffed them she uses permanent marker to make their faces and sews buttons on by hand for eyes. She has made dozens of these and gives them to friends. She is so proud of stuffed animals and never seems to tire of making them!