View Single Post
Old 07-06-2012, 04:17 AM
romanojg

That is crazy. Before I got my Ruby I took my Kenmore to class. I was the only one there that didn't have a big machine (mostly Vikings) but no one cared. When we started doing some of the designs I was the only one who didn't have to stop and change needles because they were all having tons of issues..I kept on trucking along. I did the whole class which every block was a special technique. One block that had cutwork needle work would have been easier with the bigger machine but I learned how to do it the old fashioned way and that was great for me. It worked out great for the store as well because as shoppers came in and saw what we were doing and commented they didn't have a big machine the teacher and owner was proud to show them as long as your machine had fancy stitches like mine it would work. They showed off my blocks to let others know it doesn't matter what machine you have. This is the store where I bought my Viking Ruby and I still only take it when I'm doing embroidery classes where I have to have it. Just about every LQS that I've taken classes in there has been such a mix of machines and no one cared. I don't know if you have a sew n vac in your area but they have an embroidery club and welcome all machines. The store I go to and the others in my area do charge a yearly fee plus supplies but welcome all machines. They know we all get what we want or can afford and it's not up to anyone else to deside what we chose for what ever reason to learn on. I've read many times on here how those with Brother machines are happy with what they got and how their machine does what they need. It's not all shop owners who do this so maybe you can check around and hopefully find someone who isn't a snob. You could also check to find a sewing guild, not quilting because they offer help with all areas no matter what your machine or knowlege level. I get happy to learn when someone wants to learn to do more and never think about what machine they have. I hope you produce many great designs on your machine and don't worry about the snobs.