View Single Post
Old 07-06-2012, 06:45 AM
Grama Chris

Originally Posted by ilovequilts34 View Post
Last weekend a friend asked me if I would teach four or five little girls how to sew. Their ages are 5, 8 and three in the 8th grade. I taught first year 4-H sewing years ago, but I need some "modern" ideas of things for them to make. They are eager to learn how to sew, crochet, knit, and embroider, so I need some basic project suggestions. I will have two sewing machines for them to use and plenty of sewing supplies. I am so excited about helping teach these girls some lifetime skills Thanks for any comments and suggestions you might have to make this a successful experience.
I have taught 3 grandkids already. I start out teaching them to sew on paper that (no thread) I make different lines, swirls, circles, etc on it so they get the feel & idea on how to run the machine safety 1st is always the issue. After they can do that then they can make simple pot holders I start 10 x 10, top, filling, bottom & a button in the middle they also learn to "whip stitch" the last hem by had not perfect but giving them the feel of things. Sausage pillowcases are very easy 2 seams & they're done. Funky bags to hold their treasures in made of whatever fabric scraps they want. Teaching them to iron I have 2 rules, 1. steam away 2. hands down or in the pocket my 5 1/2 yr old grandson iron scraps & loves it he can't wait to sew. Have fun & patience & they'll do fine :-)