Old 07-06-2012, 09:53 AM
Rhonda
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ellifour View Post
the first two methods result in four bias edges, which can be difficult to work with (for me at least, have to be way too careful with all 4 sides). the last method is the one i often used to make the block.
You know I was thinking about what you said about bias edges. I have heard this comment many time. I guess the reason I don't have a problem with using this the way it is is because the bias edge allows me to pull the fabric if need be to match the corners and tack them together. If I have had to trim the seam a bit to make the corner square then I can gently pull the fabric so it is as long as the other block. I can fix the block so it matches the first one. that way the corners are matching. Make sense? Without the bias edge the one block that might not be exactly perfectly cut will not be even after they are sewn and you will lose the point in the overall quilt block.

I always tack my blocks together where the seam is going to go through. So there is no stretching as the material is fixed in place where I am going to sew.
Attached Thumbnails boston-block-tutorial-updated-045.jpg