View Single Post
Old 07-06-2012, 11:53 AM
ArchaicArcane

Hi Candace,

Thanks for your quick reply. Yes, I've been experimenting with the bobbin case tension (mentioned above in between the two pictures), that's how I got it as close as it is. Before I did that and the cleaning, I could only come close with the upper tension at 9,.. and of course that means that the fabric puckers something fierce.

What doesn't make a lot of sense to me is the fact that between a zig and a zag, the tension balance seems to tip to top or bottom. That's why on the picture you see the "Wrong" thread on the outsides of the stitches in the image.

When I stitched, the red (50 wt) was on the top, and blue (also 50wt ) on the bottom. Looking at the stitches, you can see that on the left side of the stitch, it appears that the top tension is looser than the bottom, but then on the right side of the stitch, it looks like the bottom tension is looser than the top. Obviously I haven't made an adjustment between each stitch, so I wonder what's "unbalanced" to cause this.

As I mentioned, I find this on my 403a as well, and it was professionally tuned up, the elna was "just me".