View Single Post
Old 07-06-2012, 04:13 PM
peaceandjoy

Originally Posted by jcrow View Post
So remember, there are two kinds of snobs and I am reading about the second kind right here right now.
I completely agree! I have two Bernina's, and although neither is new or top-of-the-line, I've felt guilty for having them! The first I bought with an inheritance after my dad passed; that was over 15 years ago and I still LOVE it. It's been knocked onto a concrete floor (by a cat!) and absolutely no damage done. It was the only "splurge" I made for myself with the money I received.

The problem is that the machine is fairly heavy, so not easy to take to classes/retreats/sew-in's. So a few years ago, I started looking for a smaller, lighter machine. After a bit of research, I bought a Janome Gem Gold. Hated it as it's not computerized - can't adjust stitch length to what I would like. So I sold it and bought a Janome Jem Platinum. Although I liked it, I still wasn't happy - so finally found a used Bernina Activa, which I like almost as well as my original 153QE.

I doubt I'll ever buy another machine. Yes, I spent more than many folks can/do. But we don't go out much, no smoking, drinking, etc. We all have to decide what how much discretionary money we have, and what we will do with it. I know people who think nothing of eating out three times a week, going to the mall for a new outfit or shoes on a regular basis, or buying a carton of cigarettes every week. To me, that's just wasted money - enjoyed for a small amount of time and gone. The health risks associated with smoking are a whole other subject...