View Single Post
Old 07-07-2012, 07:09 AM
jamannix

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
If they are 6" blocks, cut each strip at 1.5" to finish at 1". The corner square, where you start, would be 3.5" unfinished to finish at 3".
I copied the square to my "draw" program which on my MAC is Claris works, so I can't e-mail it to you since unless you had the same program, you couldn't open it. Draw programs have rulers on each side of the window.
I measured the upper right square as 2.5" finished, not 3". I agree that the strips are 1" finished. That will give
you the center diagonal unit.
Then just use a triangle ruler to get the right sized triangles to complete the 6" square. Make one test square.
With so many triangles to cut for the quilt, you would probably want to take the height of the triangle as your
strip set size and then cut many with your triangle ruler - first using the triangle ruler straight up and
then turning it 180º to get a triangle point down, thus maximizing how many triangles you get from
your strips. Good luck - if this is too confusing for you, then consider printing the block out [after sizing it to 6"]
on easily tearable paper and paper-piecing the center diagonal unit as mentioned in earlier replies. Last resort-print out 6" block and cut it into pieces- trace these onto template plastic - and cut and sew.
Really last resort, call the shop owner and ask if there is a pattern for sale - if not, then go back to the above
methods. You can do it. - Judy