Old 07-07-2012, 07:49 AM
dunster
Power Poster

I tried the velcro and sewing technique and didn't like it so I went back to pins, then tried the Red Snappers and I do like them, although I'm concerned that I am not getting as much accuracy in positioning the fabric with the Snappers as I did with pinning, and Snappers do use up some of the available fabric so you need to have the backing cut a bit longer. There are several different options for loading a quilt, and most of us try several before finding the one (or more) right for us.

One option is to use water soluble thread for the sewing. Then you just spritz it with water and the stitches dissolve. I investigated the chain stitch machine option, but couldn't find an inexpensive machine that would do it. (The vintage ones are hard to find, and the sergers that do this tend to be higher end, meaning expensive.)

I just re-read your explanation above. I float the top of the quilt top rather than secure it, and sometimes float the bottom as well. I don't quite understand why the bottom of the quilt top would be pinned when everything else is sewn, but as I said, there are lots of different options for loading a quilt!

Last edited by dunster; 07-07-2012 at 07:53 AM.