Thread: Jobs...
View Single Post
Old 09-24-2009, 01:42 PM
LucyInTheSky

Hey -

I wanted to get some not-my-family opinions on my job search, if y'all wouldn't mind.

Background: I'm 23, been working since I was 16, owned 2 businesses before I was 18, Bachelors degree in Accounting. I spent 2.5 years in the mortgage business - laid off, taught math for the past 2 years - laid off. Been out of work since May.

So, now I'm enjoying having time to quilt and go to the gym and all those fun relaxing activities it's harder to do when you're working full time. I've been looking for part time work. I have a tendency to be a workaholic, so I've been looking at secretary/office manager jobs since I think I'd be more able to work for a few hours and leave the job after those hours for the other things in my life.

I've been applying and applying and haven't gotten any calls back. I'm definitely qualified, so it's been frustrating that I haven't gotten calls for minimum wage, 20-30 hour/week jobs.

I went for an interview yesterday and got a call back today. The president indicated they liked me, but still have other people to interview. The job would be basic secretary work at min wage, 20 hours/week, which was what I was looking for, but they even said they were concerned I might be bored working there.

So where I'm stuck now, is do I want the job or not? It would only be about an extra $100/week (after taxes) which would be $100 less I'd be taking out of my savings to pay for my mortgage/bills/etc, but $100 really isn't that much. Should I keep waiting and hoping I'll get called back? Should I take the job and be glad I'm using less of my savings? Long term, this job isn't sustainable since I will have to be using my savings and they can't last forever...

Thoughts??

Thanks