View Single Post
Old 07-07-2012, 11:17 AM
ArchaicArcane

Sorry for the long response, I was out for dinner with a friend last night, and only just had a chance to check on Candace's questions.

Originally Posted by Candace View Post
Is your needle centered properly in the plate when doing a straight stitch? Is your zig zag the same distance on both sides to the outside edge of your foot?
Yes it's centered with the straight stitch.

I did notice that the clamp that holds the needle to the needle bar sits turned a little to the right of center, which seems odd to me. I loosened the screw and turned it straight, but as soon as I tightened the screw it went back to a few degrees to the right. I assume that's correct then. *shrugs*
I also find it odd that the bobbin and case are tilted a little off level too. This whole machine is taking a bit of getting used to.

No, it's not quite the same distance with the zig zag. At a 4, I actually had to use a measuring tape to see it, but it's probably about .35mm (roughly 0.015 inch) shorter on the left side. Possibly enough to make some of that difference. I thought that would just be a variance from the cam though,...?

Originally Posted by irishrose View Post
My Elna has perfect tension - always has had. I hate making a mistake with that machine because it's very hard to get out. My tension troublemaker was a 1961 Kenmore. That's why it was replaced, ultimately. Miss Elna likes old polycovered cotton C & C thread and Guterman thread, but recently did some applique with lightweight rayon and polyester and did a great job. Your tension example looks like my 1978 Montgomery Wards machine's work when it had the same lightweight thread in it.
So, If I remember this right, a lighter weight thread will require a tighter tension. If I tighten the tensions, I seem to get pucker but the same uneven result. Suggestions? Or is this just something to live with?

I will try running the gutterman thread through it a little later today. I have to help with the building of the deck first.

Originally Posted by vintagemotif View Post
Also, If you are using two different threads this could be one cause. I was told by Cathy that if a black thread is used with a lighter color thread this could cause problems in the stitches.
Or do the same colored threads top and bottom mask the problem? The only reason I ever use 2 different threads is for testing after a tune up. I guess in theory, a black thread could have more dye, and therefore be heavier.

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
Adjust the tension with good quality thread and a brand new Schmetz 14 needle.
K,.. I will try that again later today. I have both here. I was using either a test needle, (been used a few times) or the needle that came in it when I bought it last weekend. In fact, just because I can't recall which needle it is is a good enough reason to change the needle. Thanks for the reminder.