Thread: Jobs...
View Single Post
Old 09-24-2009, 03:25 PM
Lisanne

Sounds like this isn't intended to be permanent, so how long do you want to do this for? Is this intended to be a short-term regenerating period, until you decide your next step? Is this just to earn a bit to supplement your unemployment until you find your next "real" job?

You know, of course, that you're having trouble finding those jobs because you're overqualified. They may be minimum wage, but secretaries are expected to stay with the job longer than a burger flipper would. So employers are leery of hiring someone who plans to leave in a few months. Are you able to commit to a year or two, or longer, of that kind of work? If not, why not leave that job for someone who wants something permanent.

MadQuilter's suggestion of temping would get you the work. I'd recommend AccountTemps or OfficeTeam (different companies in the same umbrella corporation). You'd get short bursts of work or longer-term jobs. Usually they are full time, which may not be what you want if you're trying to supplement unemployment.

I see that you're in Tucson. Arizona is home to many call centers. If all you want is a bit of income from work you won't overdo, try applying to one of those. You can specify part-time, I'm sure.

Another possibility is substitute teaching. One caveat with that is that work may be sporadic, so you won't be able to plan a schedule. Another thing: If you're on unemployment and AZ is anything like PA, you're not allowed to refuse work. So if they want you to work more hours or even a semi-permanent slot, you'd lose your unemployment by refusing it.

However, another possibility is online teaching. Google that and see what you think. You'd set your hours with that, and the pay is better than minimum.

Have to add a personal bit here. I'm unemployed, too. A recruiter sent my resume to a client for a job, then didn't get back to me for over a week to say what the response was. When I finally got him on the phone, he said he'd been busy hiring 42 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! people for another job. Well, hey, why them and not me? It was certainly a job I could do. "It only pays $11/hour," he says, "A person of your caliber would leave at the first opportunity." Well, yeah, but this person of my so-called caliber has been sitting around unemployed for over a year because of that attitude! It could be another year before I get hired elsewhere. And I'd welcome gettig the experience that job would offer. Oh, well.