View Single Post
Old 07-07-2012, 07:43 PM
Ramona Byrd

I have been thinking of buying some insulation batting fabric that I saw last year ... and then quilting on a pretty piece of fabric to hang in my windows where I do not have blinds. Anyone have any thoughts on this?[/QUOTE]
---------------------------------------------------
Marvelous idea. I did that years ago, put quilt batting behind the drapes, then the blinds. And since we live in the
central valley of California (think DESERT heat) I also put split bamboo shades over the windows in summer. And in
the back bedroom, that faces East, I put a layer of large bubble wrap on the sliding door with double sticky tape. This is on the glass that does not move. Then there's the shade from the overhang and that room is comfy at night. Also I have a rotating fan for really hot summer nights, but haven't had to use it this last few years.
Then there are our lovely trees that give shade from the hottest mid day and later sun, they help a lot. We started many years ago putting wires between house and garage, then in summer adding shades of split bamboo and plastic on them. Shade is cool to sit in then. Vines that covers and shades porches, I remember them from childhood in my old West Virginia home. Lovely place to sit and watch the lightening bugs flicker on and off.

Then there's the sheet of plastic that you tape to the inside of the window. It has a reflective side that will keep out
a lot of the heat. Used together, these really do help. And I'm sure that others on this forum will have lots of brand new ideas to share with all of us.