View Single Post
Old 07-08-2012, 05:16 AM
Friday1961

Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
it's not just non-quilters --- there are quilters too who do not save anything beyond what their current project requires.
i have a friend who has been creating beautiful quilts for 30 years---she uses exactly what her pattern requires & (used to) toss anything left over---i about had a heart attack when she first told me this---& told me----'oh- don't become one of THOSE string savers!'....it took me a couple years but i did finally convince her to let me have the contents of her (waste basket) before bagging it to go to the landfill---she just shakes her head & gives it up---sometimes there is 1/2 a yard or more pieces in there---i know she is not alone- lots of people use what is required then get rid of what ever was left over- regardless of amount- and then there are those of us who buy extra on purpose & keep a stash and save every scrap--- not every quilter understands any more than a non-quilter understands.
Do these "tossers" also throw away half used spools of thread, or an unfinished skein of yarn? If so, I don't think they could have grown up with parents who went through the Depression. Anyone who lived through that bad time tended to become "keepers"! My philosophy, I suppose, is that I cannot abide waste and if it's usable, then keep it. But I'm not a hoarder. I don't "save" garbage and trash!