Old 07-08-2012, 08:39 AM
SharonAnne

This post is about something dear to my heart. I have sponsored a little girl in Lesotho, Africa for a few years now. Lesotho is a tiny country completely sourrounded inside the borders of South Africa. One day recently while researching South Africa and quilting, I ran across a wonderful website about a woman who started an embroidery group in South Africa and taught women how to make embroidered quilt panels. They actually DO carry water in jugs on their heads. They have no electricity, well, basically nothing. So they make these panels depicting African Folk tales. The workmanship is phenomenal. There is a brief story about the embroiderer and the story the panel depicts. The photo I am attaching is one of the panels showing the type of hut my little girl, Selloane, lives in. If you look at the website, there are many different panels and several different folk tales told. It is a colorful website and the ladies all wear smiles despite not having an easy life. I hope you enjoy the site as much as I do. It's very interesting to see how other cultures function - it seems sewing is another universal language... www.tambani.co.za.
Attached Thumbnails africa-vendi-panel.jpg