View Single Post
Old 09-24-2009, 05:03 PM
butterflywing

Originally Posted by Lisanne
Whyever wouldn't you buy from China? I'm distressed by not having other options, but almost every non-food item I get seems to be from China these days. How doyou avoid that? Oh, do they count as a dictator-ruled country? How do you ever find clothes?

Arab countries - ah, so that's why you're up on gasoline. Do you have a special supplier? OIL IS PUMPED RIGHT HERE. YOU CAN BUY FROM COMPANIES THAT DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH MIDEAST COMPANIES.

Guess you do without Colombian coffee and all that Mexican meat and produce, since both countries are known as drug-origin countries. I'M NOT SURE THAT PRODUCE FROM MEXICO IS THAT SAFE CONSIDERING THE BACTERIAL PROBLEMS EMINATING FROM THERE. AS FOR OFF SEASON STUFF, I CAN DO WITHOUT IT. YOU CAN BUY PERUVIAN COFFEE.

Yup, Wal-mart I knew about, but as much as I abhor the practice, I can't afford to pay higher prices for my principles just now. I can say that I buy New Balance, not Nike (thus supporting the workers up in Bahstahn, supposedly). ALL I CAN SAY IS, DO YOUR HOMEWORK AND SHOP WISELY. DO THE BEST YOU CAN. OF COURSE YOU CAN'T DO IT ALL. DO WHAT YOU CAN. THE EFFORT MAKES A DIFFERENCE IN THE LARGE PICTURE, I BELIEVE.

You're admirable, and if we all could shop that way, it would force manufacturing to return to the US. I'M HARDLY ADMIRABLE. I MAKE CHOICES AND THEY AREN'T EVERYONE'S. THERE'S VERY LITTLE I ABSOLUTELY NEED AND I CAN GET ALONG WITHOUT THE UNNECESSARIES.