Old 07-08-2012, 07:16 PM
DawnFurlong

I chose stippling for my first FMQing project. I practiced a fair amount before starting. I did try STID on my practice sandwiches, but was not at all happy with it. I had mixed feelings about how it was turning out while in the middle of my project. But by the time I was done and had washed my quilt - I was happy with the overall effect. It was not perfect (variable stitch length my biggest issue) - but I was happy with it. Yes, maneuvering a quilt versus a practice sandwich is quite different!!

I have recently started turning leftover blocks into potholders. This is more for the FMQing and binding practice. Wish I had done this sooner! While it is much easier to maneuver a block around versus a quilt, there is still the lesson in control, which transfers over. Plus I would like to branch out from stippling and loopy loops. I have really needed to practice much more than I have. I would like to enjoy FMQing, and for the most part I do - but I believe that with more control and an expanded skill set, I would really enjoy it.