Old 07-10-2012, 02:02 AM
miriam
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Phyllis nm View Post
I think the cord is used to outline the hole before it is cut out. Then the hoop holds the fabric tight so you can stitch across an empty space. It can be done. That is how the new emb machines does lace work, only they use solvy as a wash away stabilizer. Some of the lace patterns are for cut away, some are not.
I have an old singer that has a knee controller for stitch width as your emb free hand. At one time I was fairly good with it, years ago. You can do raised emb lettering about ¼” tall above the fabric. It is an art form for sure. The woman I got it from had a business inside a sewing shop for years. This is a pic of 2 towel swim wraps I made 40 years ago.[ATTACH=CONFIG]347935[/ATTACH]
I think Nancy's 260 Pfaff has a lever on the stitch width so it can do that. The draw back is that you have to hold the lever while you sew. I can see where a knee lever would work or be frustrating if you bumped it when you didn't want to. I'm amazed at how well I can sew with a knee lever so maybe it would work fine.