View Single Post
Old 07-10-2012, 04:29 AM
quiltmom04

Originally Posted by COYOTEMAGIC View Post
Ok, maybe I'm confused, but I thought the part of donating an item for an auction or other charity situation was for the good of the organization, not whether it brought in the money WE thought it was worth. If it brings in $1, that's $1 more than they had before.

If you aren't willing to give freely of your fabric, time, and skills to an organization, why give to them at all?

Like I said, maybe I'm missing the point of this thread
I think you are missing the point a bit. Very often we hope that our work will increase the value of the raw materials, so hopefully a $50 investment in supplies could be at least doubled when the project was done. I know when I'm in a gift exchange with a limit of, say, $20, I can make that $20 into a much more valuable gift. Same with this. I want to be able to give more to an organization than I might write out in a check. Also, who among us has not been heartbroken to see a handmade quilt treated like a dog blanket. Yes, it IS a gift, but we also know what our gift is actually worth and find it hard to see it undervalued by folks who don't know what they have. Suppose you donated a first edition book by a famous author, but the group you gave it to didn't know and sold it for $1 because it was an old, worn out book? An extreme example, perhaps, but wouldn't you be disappointed because you knew it could be worth so much more, and that's what you had intended with your gift?