View Single Post
Old 07-10-2012, 05:47 AM
Edie

Originally Posted by EllieGirl View Post
I hadn't planned on doing this today but I'm canning green beans. I sent my husband to pick peaches and blackberries yesterday and he came home with blackberries, peaches, and green beans. He wanted me to cook up a large batch to keep in the refrig. However, my daughter and two grandsons are living with and now, and there is no way it would fit in the refrig, so I'm canning. I enjoy it but it makes me nervous with the little ones around. When my kids were little I did it before they got up or after they went to bed. I'm too tired at night to do it once the kids go to bed now! Our garden is producing but it's not ready to pick. I'm freezing the blackberries and peaches.
I did a lot of canning in my day. I make dill beans in a hot water bath (pickled beans), but you have to pressure can the beans otherwise. The only stuff I hot water bathed were fruit, pickles, jellies and jams. You have to be so careful when you can vegetables. Oh, you can hot water bath tomatoes, Iknew that, just forgot!!!!!!! I have got four bags of frozen black raspberries that I am going to make jelly with and hot water bath. I have registered for the Minnesota State Fair to enter them, so when it cools down a bit I am going to get some new 1/2 pt jars and go to work. Have fun! Edie