View Single Post
Old 07-10-2012, 05:53 AM
romanojg

I recently took a class to make a jacket and what we did is cut out the pattern and then measure my body and depending on if I needed to reduce the size in places or enlarge the area; we wrote down those figures. We then took a product called Do Sew; our teacher gets it on the internet, it's about $6 a roll but you could use any cheap interfacing/stabllizier and we layed our pattern pieces out on the do sew and traced the pattern onto it increasing or degreasing depending on what numbers we wrote down. When that was done I sewed the do sew together with a basting stitch and tried it on to see it that was a good fit. You can then make adjustments as needed. Once you have what you want you take out the basting stitches and use that to cut your fabric with. This also saves the pattern in orginal condition. Remember when buying patterns that even though clothing makers have changed the sizing of clothes, I assume to make egos happy, I use to wear a size 8, then a 6 and now sometimes I wear a 4, but my body hasn't changed that much; believe me. Pattern sizes have not changed so you really do need to check your measurements before buying the pattern and get one close to what you are. Don't go by the fact that you wear a size 6 in all the stores because you'll probably still wear and 8 or better on the pattern. I decided last yr to get back into making clothes as I used to make alot of mine and then just kind of stopped over the yrs. I just got two new jacket patterns and I'll make them out of the do sew first (it's like a template) and then make the one out of my fabric. Keep and eye out for a sewing/quilt expo that is going to different areas right now. I know that it's in Chantilly Va and Hampton Roads Va in October but they have classes for making patterns fit your body. I'm taking them next.