Old 07-10-2012, 04:47 PM
miriam
Power Poster

Originally Posted by quiltingweb View Post
I have oiled the whole machine. I took it apart, bit by bit, to discover what moved and what did not. I have narrowed it down to the middle rod that runs from a gear on the right side over to the bobbin spinner on the left. The bobbin area does not move at all. All of the other parts move slightly when I move the hand-wheel, gently, back and forth. The needle bar was...is...stuck in the down position, but when I removed a few screws, I was able to unstick the needle bar, wiggle and lift it and removed the needle so it is no longer stuck in the bobbin area. That gear, that rod is the only thing that does not move. There wasn't a lot of lint, in fact, the machine looks pretty clean. The hair dryer sounds like a possibility. It does look, however, like a mouse had moved in for a while and stashed his seeds, but I got all that out. I really want to sew with this machine. The treadle runs SO smoothly.....

Question...when I do get it going...does a thicker lubricant go in the gear area? I think that's what I've read...or is that just for the newer machines with the plastic gears?
You can use Triflow grease on the gears.
I had a machine with a turning problem. It had a mouse nest up in the arm. Turned it upside down and shined a light up there and there was a big old nest. I pulled out the balance wheel and the back round thing and got rid of the stupid mouse nest... Make sure the mouse is evacuated first... I want to know how she picked there to nest.