Old 07-11-2012, 05:24 AM
BoJangles

Originally Posted by Phyllis nm View Post
Nancy there was no tear away when I made these. I drew the pattern on tissue paper
Then stitched an outline. It is on velour rowels [well worn]. It is a build up of thread lot of alone. Some older artist would put cording down and cover it with thread.
Phyllis, you did an amazing job. I have never tried to embroider without stabilizer especially on something like towels! When I have embroidered with less than enough stabilizer my machine bunches up the fabric or the stitches get buried. It just shows you how much 'better' those vintage machines were to the modern embroidery machines of today. What machine did you use to do the embroidery? Or did you tell us already? I don't think my modern embroidering machine could keep going over the layers without getting stuck or breaking needles.

I will be able to do what you did with my Pfaff 260 because I can widen or shorten the satin stitch while he is running! That will be fun to try - monogramming some towels free hand!

Candace as far as stitching without fabric underneath the foot - yowwww! I'd be afraid to try that! I realize after she got the first stiches she was just stitching over them, but the first row would scare me, although it did look like she stitched that first row after cutting out the fabric! I'd love to see someone do that lace in person!

Nancy