Old 07-11-2012, 05:34 AM
BoJangles

Originally Posted by quiltingweb View Post
[ATTACH=CONFIG]348074[/ATTACH]Moving this over from another thread...advice from there "Get an old but clean mascara brush and check first for clogged up stuff - lint, broken needles, dried up grease and oil, etc. Get some Triflow oil - put one drop on anything that remotely moves. Jiggle it as you oil. Muv has a great video on the sticky: HOW TO CLEAN UP and use a vintage sewing machine - videos by Muv and Fav Her tutorial should be enough to get that machine serviced. That machine's exterior looks to be in good shape, you do not need Glenn's tutorial. Your machine looks like it runs on a treadle. Some of those machine's also have a little wheel to drive the balance wheel. Sometimes those get a flat spot or die. It looks like it needs a bobbin winder tire. This can further be discussed here: Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell which is also on the sticky. "

It does run on treadle. The treadle moves VERY smoothly. When I disengage the hand wheel, it moves very smoothly, but engaged, it won't budge. I've been looking for the reason and I'm thinking that one of the gears won't move. Needle is stuck in the down position and bobbin case won't move either. I've oiled everything, let it sit over night. Still stuck. Still looking.
Quiltingweb, I know you have gotten several answers to this, the tri-flow, heat, all the oiling, but have you really taken the time with a flashlight turning the machine every which way with the slide plate and needle plate removed to make sure there is no thread, hair, lint caught in the hook/race/bobbin area? Also, oil the needle bar really well and keep trying to wiggle it - after you are positive there is nothing caught in the bobbin race area! Cathy on here told me that the machine sticking at times usually meanes the needle bar has lint around it or needs oiling.

Nancy