Old 07-11-2012, 05:55 AM
Joanne9of12

Originally Posted by dunster View Post

If you get one, you should know that they come in different lengths. I recommend the 12". 6" is often too small, and 18" seems way too big to me. 12" is just right (said Goldilocks).
I love my add-a quarter rulers. I actually have all three sizes because I do a fair amount of paper piecing, but the 12" ruler is the one I use the most. The 6" ruler works well for me when I'm working on very small units and the 18" ruler is great for when I'm putting large units together. I recently made an Amazon Star quilt (a Judy Niemeyer design) and the larger ruler was wonderful for sewing the final units together effortlessly.

I think these rulers are just like most other quilting/sewing notions. It is purely a matter of personal preference and I always suggest trying the notion first if possible before buying. I teach a number of classes, including beginners' classes and my first beginner's class involves no sewing machine. Students bring what rotary cutting supplies they own and learn those; or better yet, come and try the myriad of supplies I have and choose what they like best and then go an buy what they like. I once had two students who swapped cutters because they liked what the other had purchased. Everyone was happy! :-)