View Single Post
Old 07-11-2012, 06:38 AM
Greenheron

When cutting a clothing pattern, there are quite often narrow 'strings' of fabric left from the edges. Strings might also be left from cutting down or restyling garments, which was common in times past. As recently as the 1960s, my mother shortened our skirts and dresses and had material left over. Sewing factories cut clothing components from deeply stacked layers of fabric. Cutaways were sold cheaply to quilters though I haven't seen documentation of string cutaways.

I may be mistaken, but originally string quilts were made of very narrow lengths saved from projects and it was necessary to work on a base, most often fabric. Some were utility quilts and some were made with fancy fabric--taffeta, brocade, etc. After the top was completed it was lined and tacked in the same manner as crazy quilts, with no extra filling. Selvedge projects are contemporary string piecing.

Strip quilts are made of fabric cut on the straight grain for the projects, joined in lengths and cut to produce the pieced block or block components. Backing is not used.

Last edited by Greenheron; 07-11-2012 at 06:51 AM.