Old 07-11-2012, 07:58 AM
BKrenning

Originally Posted by Roberts35 View Post
I have actually quilted two queen size quilts, one oversized throw and six or so baby quilts on this machine. With all these one of worst struggles has been basting the backing to the leaders and then getting the quilt off the leaders after it is quilted.

I just am trying to figure out if the best option is to purchase a machine with a longer stitch length or to find a better method of attaching the backing to the leaders.

Thanks to all of you who have commented. I do truly appreciate all the help.

Thanks!!!!
I use T-pins. I bought them strictly for this purpose & leave them in the leaders 6" apart. My leaders are also marked every 6 inches to make it easier to center and square the quilt while loading.

First, while standing in front of or at the needle end of the frame, I find the center of the backing & pin it to the center of my take-up leader. Then I pin all down to the left every 6 inches. Then I walk around to the back of the frame to pin down the other side.

Then I do the same for the pay-out leader. Find the center of the backing fabric and pin it to the center of the pay-out leader. Pin all to the left and then all to the right.