View Single Post
Old 07-11-2012, 09:17 AM
Prism99
Power Poster

After using several different brands, I now use 505 exclusively. I couldn't stand the odor of most of the others; 505 is relatively odorless. Nevertheless, be *sure* you use basting spray in a well-ventilated area, no matter what the brand. As long as you don't overdose on the spraying, you shouldn't get any gumming up of the needle.

The only pins I use on a large quilt are a few around the edges, just to make sure the layers don't start separating there.

Before starting, I strongly recommend marking the center of each side of your backing, batting and quilt top. Layer backing and batting, matching centers. Then fold back half of the batting and spray baste the backing. Smooth back that half of the batting, then fold back the other half. Use the same method with the top. Positioning two layers before you spray is *very* helpful in making the process fast and easy, as you never have to worry about repositioning sticky layers.

I greatly prefer Hobbs 80/20 batting to Warm and Natural. W&N has a stiffer drape because of the needlepunching through scrim; Hobbs is softer and lighter in weight, with a better drape.