View Single Post
Old 07-11-2012, 02:01 PM
Havplenty

i have a brother cs6000i and it quit on me within 1 yr. yes it is very light and scoots around when sewing with it but it just locked up one day, came to a grinding stop. i took the whole machine a part to see if i could see anything wrong. nothing so it is something within the computerized system. i called a brother repairman and his response was that it would be cheaper to buy a new machine than to try to get this one fixed. so it sits in a corner. perhaps i pushed it too hard. the electronic machines do not need to be oiled as they are ran be computer brains and are made mostly of plastic.

daisy is your daughter finding something wrong with the old kenmore she is sewing on or does she just want to have a machine with all the fancy stitches? many of us are finding great stitch qualities with these 'older' machines. they have metal internals and can take a lot of use. i am piecing with my vintage singer now and it does a great tight stitch. i have a 25 yr old babylock sewing machine that i use also. when i get a newer fancy machine, it will be something substantial with support and a warranty. no more cheap sewing machines for me.

i would say help your daughter purchase the best machine that she can afford right now. you can also check dealers and lqs's to see what machines they have taken on trade in or display models that are up for sale. and you can also check your local craigslist for some great bargains. check online reviews for any of the machines you are considering to get some perspective. do your research and spend your $200.00 wisely.