View Single Post
Old 07-12-2012, 04:53 AM
azwendyg

OK, I hope it's alright to jump right in here...

I did a little quilt that I think fits the July "Refreshing and Cool" theme. (This is my third attempt ever on an "art" quilt...)

I tried several techniques that are new to me, so yes, definitely out of my comfort zone! I'm trying to get the hang of "embellishment" and always feel like what I have done is either not enough or too much. I'd love some help with suggestion on that in particular, but anything overall that you wonderfully artistic folks can add would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: Sorry, the pics seem a bit dark.

Here goes:
This is my "Shade Tree in Summer"

[ATTACH=CONFIG]348392[/ATTACH]
This little quilt is about 29" in diameter. I made the tree using a trapunto technique I've been struggling with a bit to work out a process that works for me. First I draw the design out on freezer paper, then press the paper on to felt and cut it out, paper and all with an Exacto knife. Next lay out my backing, batting and background fabric and spray baste the sandwich all together with 505 spray. Then I use a light mist of 505 spray on the top of my background fabric and lay the felt cutout, with paper still attached to keep it stable, on top of the background fabric, gently pressing in place with my hands, then peel off the paper. Next, I lay a piece of organza over the top and also smooth into place. The 505 is just sticky enough to hold it all in place if I'm careful handling it. After it is all sandwiched, I carefully stitch very closely around the trapunto to hold it all together, and then FMQ the background. It took several experiments and a few failed (read that as "cut my organza when I was trying to trim trapunto") attempts before I settled on this process.

Here are a couple of closeups of the trapunto.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]348393[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]348397[/ATTACH]
And some of the FMQing:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]348394[/ATTACH]
These are supposed to be tree roots...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]348395[/ATTACH]
and some leaves and bark...

And here I used some Shiva Oil Paintstiks to highlight the circles in the feather spine.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]348396[/ATTACH]

I felt like it needed some embellishment so I added a bunch of beading, but am not totally happy with that....

I've been looking at this quilt in minute detail for so long, I don't feel like I have a good sense how it is in respect to overall design/impact anymore...

Suggestions and comments please???
Attached Thumbnails quilt-tree.gif   quilt-tree5.gif   quilt-tree4.gif   quilt-tree3.gif   quilt-tree6.gif  

quilt-tree2.gif  

Last edited by azwendyg; 07-12-2012 at 04:56 AM.