View Single Post
Old 07-12-2012, 02:35 PM
kapatt

Great advice on adjusting the tension. Thank you. I wanted to encourage everyone to really get to know your machine manual. It is a wonderful friend. I've been sewing since the late 60's and I make sure that I have a manual for each of my machines. (Last count I had about 15 or 16 vintage machines. My favorite machines to sew with are the Singers 401, 403, featherweights, and the 15-91 treadle.) I also have the Viking Mega Quilter on my quilting frame.
I refer to my manuals a lot. Most of my machines thread front to back but there is one that threads left to right and a few that threads right to left. Some of my machines have horizontal bobbins and some have the removable bobbin case. When I pull out a machine to use to sew a quilt, I always check my manual to see which way the thread is suppose to unwind on the horizontal bobbins or if it has a removable bobbin case, I check my manual to make sure I latch the removable bobbin case in at the right position.

I just wanted to add that if it is at all possible, a person should try to use the same machine for all of their blocks. If we switch machines frequently in a project, we will find that the blocks don't always match up.

Last edited by kapatt; 07-12-2012 at 02:37 PM.