View Single Post
Old 07-13-2012, 03:09 AM
LynnVT

I did that kind of work for a while when I was between jobs, and I have to put in a word for the people on the other end. It is annoying, but they are just working people like you and me, making very small amounts of money for doing such a difficult job. When you waste their time, you are keeping them from moving on. Would you treat someone in a store like that? Is it because you can't see their faces that you feel it's ok to be rude and mean to them? Isn't it just as easy to say, "I'm sorry, I can't give to your cause, but I hope the next person makes a donation. Goodbye." Hang up politely. I know I sound sanctimonious, but gosh, I'm really surprised so many otherwise nice people think it's ok to do this. Many telemarketers are handicapped or have other reasons why they can't do a different job. I love a joke too, but I'd rather laugh with a friend or family member than make fun of a stranger. They know some people don't want their calls, but they have families to support, too. OK, stepping down off my soapbox.

Last edited by LynnVT; 07-13-2012 at 03:10 AM. Reason: typo