View Single Post
Old 07-13-2012, 03:34 AM
Sandygirl

Originally Posted by Cindy60545 View Post
Well said, Dunster!
Cheryl, I longarm for others. Most of my customers enjoy the creative process & not the quilting process. Some prefer I do it so that it gets finished faster & better than their own FMQ. If you're doing market research, I suggest you look at the area your in & compare between the local LAQ. I know where I am, there's quite a few of us LAers & each of us have different areas that we specialize in. A friend of mine only does pantos, another only does meandering. Another uses strictly computerized. Me? I'm all freehand, ruler work, semi-custom to custom. I don't even own any pantos. I enjoy the creativity of doing it & hands on quilting of the whole quilt.
I find it difficult at times to ask for info on the kind of quilting specialty the LAQ does. It would be helpful if the LAQ would ask me the pertinent questions that they need answered prior to quilting the project. I don't know what I need to know to ask myself. BUT I am learning to ask these questions since I have learned the hard way. Please add other questions that I may not be aware to ask.

I don't want to see the thread..I want to see the fabric.
I don't want contrasting thread on the back. Please use a different bobbin thread if you need to in order to "hide" the stitching. example: I hate white bobbin thread on a colored backing. I need to clarify this with my LAQ for the future project.

PLEASE check your tension settings...nothing riles me like seeing the tension being off on the back of the quilt and "nests" of threads too. Good grief..I correct my own tension issues, etc when I piece a top, etc. Please do the same.

I don't pay for "custom". My projects are fun and a pantograph is just fine by me. I also love meandering. My quilt will not be entered into a contest but it may be exhibited for "show" only. Pantos are fine for my use.

Please inform me of the estimated turn around for my project(s). I fully understand wait times but please give me a ballpark estimated time of completion. Of course you also need to know if I have a "secret" deadline that I fail to mention. Let's talke timeframe on both sides, please.

What other questions should I be asking??
sandy