View Single Post
Old 07-13-2012, 06:21 AM
elizajo

I like to make controlled scrappy quilts in specific color families. I just finished making a Bonnie Hunter "Pineapple Blossoms" quilt in blues. I love using the color matcher feature at Thousands of Bolts. It was easy to choose a good range of shades of blues. I also like shopping carts with thumbnails, it's like being able to step away from your design wall and see the effect from a distance. Some websites have thumbnail pictures that are too large for doing that.

Since the minimum order there is one yard unless you are lucky enough to find a FQ, I end up with lots of scraps. Now I have enough scraps to make another queen size quilt. I'm going to chop them up for leaders/enders next weekend.

I made a couple of modern quilts this summer for the first time. I found a website, Marmalade Fabrics, that has fabrics just in that genre that will sell single FQs. I like that I don't have to sort through lots of other fabrics, and can easily build a collection of fabrics. I avoid buying fabrics only from one collection, I like to make my own collection!