View Single Post
Old 07-13-2012, 12:52 PM
margecam52

It really depends on what you like to do & don't like to do...If you love to piece a quilt, but dread the quilting process, especially for larger quilts...then a LAQ is probably the way to go...but don't discount a MAQ...his/her machine may not be as large as LAQ's...but they can still get the job done just as nicely as a LAQ.

I have a computerized machine & love using it, but I also enjoy doing freehand. I also like doing binding, and don't mind sheets for backings (no different than a batik for backing).

I will take your not so perfect quilts, as long as you are aware I may have to take a tuck here and there, and if I run into a loose seam, I'll stitch it (blind stitch by hand) right there on the machine. I'll take older quilts and replace bindings (I leave the old, just put new over it)...I will take a picture of a fabric you have on the quilt & make a replacement for a piece that is damaged beyond repair (or missing)...and print that pic onto fabric, making a new "print" to match the fabric in the quilt (I charge 12.50 usd for the printer sheet fabric). It takes a bit of testing /combining to make the right color/size needed for the repair...so part is fee for my time & ink also.

In other words...if it's old, tattered...or just not pieced very well...and no other long arm quilter will do it...I will. I love saving a quilt from the scrap heap. I've got a couple really new to quilting customers...I've been watching their quilt piecing improve with each quilt they send me....and I always try to include a magazine or other how to's when I return their quilt to them.

I also make quilts and embroidered labels for myself and my customers...the fee depends on what is wanted.

Originally Posted by Silver Needle View Post
I'm asking about someone who does it as a business. Not just having your friend with a mid arm do it as a favor.