Thread: Ready to sew!
View Single Post
Old 07-13-2012, 05:31 PM
sunfrogger88

Default Ready to sew!

Hi gang,

I am so excited, I finally have my old gal almost ready to sew!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]348904[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]348906[/ATTACH]

Well, I could realistically sew with her if I wanted to. Tensions are all fixed, she is oiled and has new thread and a new needle!

But I'm new to the vintage machines, and a few things worry me:

1- are all the older machines touchy? on my last post about my gal I got a comment that the foot pedal clamped inside can slide up and out so I don't need to use the knee pedal. I'm willing to try it but I noticed while I pushed directly on the foot pedal, she was still a little touchy!
2 - are all vintage machines loud and sticky? I have to push on the gas to get her through the first stitch or two and then have to really brake to slow down and have an even sewing rhythm. Did I miss something to oil or lube?

Once she gets through the first few stitches, she isn't loud at all, so I'm hoping its just a small part I missed oiling the first time. This weekend I may try oiling her again and seeing what it does.

this may be super young of me.. but even on the 80's era Kenmore I sewed on as a kid, it had a zig-zag built in.. so I did my first manual zig zag stitch tonight. I am super proud.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]348905[/ATTACH]

Last question for all: how do you get around not having a free arm on the vintage machines? I have some shorts to fix and I need to be able to stick them around the bottom of the machine! A flat top will be great for quilting.. but I don't have my quilting projects with me yet.. it's still at my parent's 70 miles away!
Attached Thumbnails dscn1543.jpg   dscn1555.jpg   dscn1545.jpg