Old 07-14-2012, 05:37 AM
gardnergal970

Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
Yes, I can see that perhaps they are using the $5 to help finance the goodies etc.
I love sharing ideas with my LQS, though I don't think I'll share that one!

Quite the idea for the quilt kits ... though is there any "deal" ... other than the fact that like any kit, it's organized for you? And do you get your kit all at one store? or do you have to go from one to the other? Or do all the Hoppers get the individual block patterns, but not the fabrics unless they purchase the kit? I'm a little confused ... so someone please sort me out on how this works?

And,
GGal ... what does a Registrar do? ... stamp the passports?

We have the ten shop Hop all this month ... I've only been to one so far, though I am hoping to catch another couple or so this weekend. Will see, how time goes!
Here's what I know today...the entire 12 blocks cost $60 so they cost each shop $6. The block from our shop had 4 fat quarters in it and the fabric was Windham so I imagine it was about $11.99 a yard although I didn't check the yardage price. If you figure it at just 1/2 yard, the fabric alone was $6 without any consideration of the cost of assembling the package. Then each shop gave out a charm to the first 300 arrivals and had some incentive items in sale. We had 15% off on any cutting tool. Each shop had a drawing for a $25 gift certificate wnd then there were the sponsors prizes but that shouldn't be the shops expense. If you think of all the advertising , etc that would go into an event like that, the $5 for the passport helps but doesn't cover the expenses they incurr. The plus side, there were a lot of new people that found our shop that wouldn't have come otherwise and many old friends choose to end their day and spend the night with us in our retreat before heading out today.

Each store was responsible for one kit and each store had a different design for how the quilt can be made up so they have a finishing kit. All hoppers could pick up a pattern at each shop even if they didn't purchase the fabric.

What I did was stamp passports, give out charms and blocks to those that had purchased them and see that they all got registered for our drawing. Then our shop also had fresh baked cookies...we did that in their little oven...coffee and cold bottled water...and information for the next shop hop and bus tours. We also kept a tally of how many people came through. By the time I left last night, there had been 268 charms given out and about 35 block yet to give out. The owners were very happy. As a registrar, we were able to give the people the attention they needed right away to make them feel comfortable and welcomed and freed up the employees to service their quilting needs/wants.

A really fun couple of days with some wonderful quilting friends!

Last edited by gardnergal970; 07-14-2012 at 05:40 AM.