Old 07-14-2012, 09:18 AM
miriam
Power Poster

Originally Posted by BoJangles View Post
Hello everyone! I am behind a few pages, but need to ask a question of you Necchi fans - what does this machine do? Straight stitch and zig zag? I don't have, nor have I ever owned a Necchi! I am looking for a machine for my granddaughter in a small cabinet! She needs one she can sit down and sew on at her house without having to drag out her portable machine! I really would like to find her a Pfaff 1222!
http://sacramento.craigslist.org/for/3138053510.html

I really want her to have a machine with some decoratice stitches - especially the triple stitch as she is always hemming jeans or making jeans into shorts! I may just give her a 401a, but I am afraid she will lose the cams! I'd rather she had a nice vintage machine that has everything built in!

Nancy
If this were my DG I would give her a Singer 401, 403, 500 or 503. Since you are afraid she will lose the cams then you need the 401 or the 500. I say this for a couple reasons. First, those machines are relatively light weight it might be a bit easier to get the machine up and down in the table. Second, if you sit in front them and compare how well you can see you will notice you can see what you are doing a whole lot better on those model Singers. The tension and the nose get in the way on many machines. I had two Necchi machines for awhile. One I liked and used a lot, the other I hated. I also hated my Janome. One day my daughter and I were making something and using the two Necchi machines... she commented that she could not see past the nose on the one I hated without craning her neck. We started looking at machines a bit different after that. Can you see without craning your neck or hunching over? How is the light? I would prefer a Singer 403 or 503 to the 401 - I know what stitch I am getting every time. The 401 drives me up the walls unless I have a manual right there. Being able to see may be why I like the Singer 15 or a clone for FM so much. I can see real good. Nothing in the way.

Last edited by miriam; 07-14-2012 at 09:21 AM.