Old 07-14-2012, 12:15 PM
SewExtremeSeams

Several years ago I ran across this Connecting Threads tutorial on Crossgrain Binding. Crossgrain, meaning you cut straight strips on the width of the fabric.

http://www.connectingthreads.com/tut...ideo__D43.html

I have been using this method without a walking foot, zigzagging or starching. The only place I pin is when I have stitched down to a corner and then, I pin it to hold the fold while I reposition the needle. It works for me. I try not to pull/stretch the loose binding as I am sewing down the edge. Guess I should add that I try to carefully fold the binding fabric (almost always 2.5") when I am pressing it in half. Like others have said, practice on small samples (like mug rugs or potholders) until you find a method that works for you, then... perfect it. Happy Quilting.

Forgot to mention, I sew my binding on one side, turn it by pressing and then hand stitch the back side. I admire those who can sew both sides and come out with straight stitching... my bindings don't look as good if I stitch the second side. Just a quirk for this quilter, I guess!

Last edited by SewExtremeSeams; 07-14-2012 at 12:24 PM.