Thread: Back pain
View Single Post
Old 09-26-2009, 11:31 AM
mpspeedy

Someone mentioned the door stops. I purchased a platform from Nancy's Notions that Tilts my whole machine forward. I don't know how I sewed without it. It even has a hole to allow for the kneebar on my Bernina. The other thing I have done is have my husband cut the legs off of my sewing table so that they are just the right heights that my arms are level with the sewing surface when they are bent at 45 degrees at the elbow. Since the presserfoot is several inches off of the floor and you rest your whole foot on it to operate it. I also have a plastic box the same thickness that I rest my other foot on when I am sewing. I also puchased an office chair from Office Depot or Staples that is adjustable. All of those things make sewing much more comfortable and do less damage to the back.
I have made myself an ironing surface out of a kitchen island on wheels. I placed a 1/2 of a quarter sheet of plywood on top that I covered with batting and a teflon sheet and then muslin. It makes a great ironing surface. With the addition of a cutting mat I can cut on it also. I find that I tend to over reach both when cutting and ironing because of the larger surface. That is where I usually get the pain. You can make any surface a more comfortable height by using those bed risers they sell in Walmart or other stores.