Old 07-15-2012, 07:31 AM
cheezythequiltmaker

Originally Posted by Wonnie
If I spend $40.00 and up for a class plus, anywhere from $100 to $150 for fabric or supplies, is it not reasonable for me to expect that in addition to learning how to make the quilt, picture, basket, etc. that I would have a usable object when I was finished? I have run into this with all kind of classes actually....quilting, stained glass, basketry, etc. Either the instructor spends all of her time with one student, with one of her friends who is, also, taking the class, has a lackadaisical attitude or who is primarily only interested in the money they took in initially for the class. Anyone else experienced this? I feel smaller projects should be chosen that requiring minimal supplies to teach the basics that will result in a completed project you can be proud of and which stimulates your desire to learn more. What say you?
It sounds to me like you need to be more picky when selcting your classes. You have very specific expectations and sadly it takes longer than most one off classes have to make a finished piece and some homework will always be needed either to catch up if you are a slower worker or to finish off. Even in a course of sessions, homework will be needed to catch up or get to a certain next stage.

Small projects are all very well, but quite a lot of people I find don't want to make small things and want to make something bigger. If I had a penny for everytime someone has turned up at a "small project" class with grand aspirations of scaling up or going bigger.... I now usually give options on my class requirements lists so that learners can choose if they want to make the little tester project/ block or go big. you can only have som many pillow covers and table mats!

At the end of my classes I try and have people go home with at least a completed block, maybe more, and certainly enough information to complete the project. I have several classes where you go home finished the top or pretty close to finished. but a "quilt in a day" is a true falicy for a class.

A LQS often runs classes at a small loss because they know it generates income, but in these hard times, they have to recognise that people will be wanting to use up stuff they have. I am always coming up with projects that will destash all those fat quarters we've been collecting when times were not as hard!!!

It is my experience that people do not want to pay me to be there while they "mass produce" the blocks needed to complete thier project once they have mastered the initail piecing. Classes (one day (6 hours) or one off classes) need to be selfcontained and more technique based where you learn the technique maybe piece a sample block and leave witht he enthusuausm and knowledge to complete the project. A quilting course (a series of shorter classes) can handle a longer term project where you learn cutting, piceing, assembly and setting, layering quilting binding and making labels. But every group is different and some students are more demanding than others and some NEED more help than others. If you don't like a group dynamic you first need to bring your concerns to the attension of the tutor ( or the shop owner who can discuss it with them on your behalf).

The other thing is don't give up on classes for one bad experience. try a different tutor. Everyone of us is different and I have experienced great teachers and terrible teachers. remember being able to teach isn't a given if you are a talented quilter, it takes a different kind of Psyche to nurture and give the best experience to someone in a class. Ask your friend about teachers and go on personal recomendation.

becks
If you are not happy in group classes, consider opting for private lessons. Be those online tutorials or with a real person one on one.