Old 07-15-2012, 10:19 AM
WooPigChick

Unhappy Help?!? My first quilt - needle problems...

Hi everybody. I'm new to the site and hoping someone can help me. I have pieced together my first quilt, made my sandwhich and have started machine quilting it with my free motion foot. I'm trying my hand at the stipple stitch and did about a 4th of the quilt last night without a problem. I was actually pretty proud of myself. But...today has not went as well. So far I have broken 4 needles. I have a Singer Fashion Mate 5500 machine (nothing super fancy). I am unable to turn the feed dogs off with this machine, I can only cover them with a darning plate that came with it which is just plastic. When the needles break it seems as they though they are hitting the darning plate (judging by the sound I hear)?? I sew fine for a couple or 3 minutes and then it happens suddenly. I have double checked and my needle is in the center position and the plate is secure and correct in it's placing. I'm wondering if anyone has any input as to possible causes? I'm getting very aggrivated. Is it possible that I could be moving my quilt too quickly and actually bending the needle over the plate? Also... what needle size do you suggest to use for machine quilting (100% cotton and low loft polyester batting). Thank you so much for any help you might be able to give me.

Last edited by WooPigChick; 07-15-2012 at 10:32 AM.