View Single Post
Old 07-15-2012, 01:43 PM
captlynhall

Yea to being open to try different things.

I prefer to wash fabrics before using but bought pre-cut tumblers out of beautiful Asian fabrics that were so beautiful. Of course I did not wash them, and they have made up a beautiful quilt. I will advise the recipient that the fabrics have not been washed so IF they ever have to wash it, it will be have to be handled carefully.

I do machine piece, love my little 2 yr. old Brother, but since all I use is a straight stitch, as long as the machine does a good job of that, the cost doesn't matter.

I only hand quilt. Partly because I love to do it. Partly because machine quilting looks too hard. Partly because I can't afford to send to a long-armer.

I use Magic Sizing instead of starch. It gives enough body to make a good cut, but I don't think it attracts critters like starch does.

I do prefer piecing at this stage, but perhaps on down the road will try applique. I do enjoy hand binding with a blind stitch which I think is an applique stitch.

I think quilting is like any other art. There are many mediums to work with and many ways to get to the finished piece. I hope to always be open to learning from others, but know I will choose what works for me.